Frequently Asked Questions

1What’s the difference between buildings insurance and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance provides cover for the house itself, such as the structure, which includes walls, roofs and any outbuildings.

Contents insurance provides cover for your belongings, such as household goods that include items like electrical goods, clothing, art and jewellery.

2Define buildings?

Buildings is defined as any permanent structure within the boundaries of your property. This includes walls, garages, sheds, greenhouses, swimming pools, fences and gates. Cover is also extended to include other fixed structures or part of, such as fuel tanks, underground service pipes, cables and drains.

3Is garden furniture covered?

Garden furniture left outside is covered, depending on the limit of cover, as each insurer will have a different level. Theft of these items from outbuildings, sheds or garages can also be covered.

4What does excess mean?

The amount you have to pay for each agreed claim.

5What do I need to do when moving home?

You need to contact us straight away on 0345 8629002, providing details of your new home. We need the post code and house name or number. It is important you contact us prior to exchanging contracts as you will need to ensure the new home has sufficient insurance cover. Your premium may increase or decrease depending on your new property details.

6Is my home contents covered while I’m on holiday?

Items left in your home while you're away are covered as normal. If you have a holiday exceeding 30 consecutive days, you must contact us immediately.

7What happens if my property is left unoccupied for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months?

Most insurers will only cover up to 30 days. If your property is going to be unoccupied for more than 30 days, we will either contact your insurer or be in a position to offer you an alternative policy with one of our insurers.

8How do I make a claim?

You can either contact us on 0345 8629002 or locate the claims contact details of your insurer, within the policy documents.

9Can I work from my home?

It all depends on what business is being carried out. You must contact the office prior to starting, as many insurers will exclude this cover. You must confirm what type of work is being conducted. Is it clerical only? Will visitors come to the property? Will goods be kept at the property? You may need additional cover such as professional indemnity, public liability, and other business insurance. We are able to offer cover for business use but this will be subject to the full information being acceptable.

10How do I retrieve my policy documents?

If you have purchased a policy with us then you can retrieve your policy documents by visiting the link below and entering your username and password, these were supplied to you after the confirmation of your policy.

Retrieve Policy Documents

If you require your login details to be re-sent to you then please contact [email protected] or call us on 0345 8629002.

Our partners